Roofers build and maintain roofs. They install materials, such as cement and clay, and repair damaged parts to ensure safety. They may specialize in residential or industrial roofing.
We are looking for an experienced roofer to join our team. You’ll construct safe and durable roofs and fix damaged parts such as, for example, broken shingles. You’ll install all materials in good order and set up systems, such as insulation and vapor barriers.
To succeed in this role, you should have the ability to use hand tools, such as shingle cutters and roofing hatchets, and stand on ladders and scaffolds for long hours at a time. You’ll also know how to handle materials (e.g. wood, asphalt) for different roofing styles and tasks.
- Build roofs using various materials and tools
- Deliver projects within timeline
- Inspect damages and estimate costs of labor
- Repair or replace broken materials
- Remove debris from roofs to place materials
- Smoothen roof surfaces and fill in edges with cement
- Ensure roofs protect buildings from weather conditions, such as rain or snow
- Use hand tools and other equipment (e.g. scaffold, ladder)
- Follow safety rules
- Set up vapor barriers and vents
- Install insulation and solar energy systems
- Restock roofing materials, such as clay and cement
- Experience as a roofer or a similar role in construction
- Excellent carpentry skills
- Experience using various hand tools and equipment, such as scaffolds, taking safety rules into consideration
- Physical strength and good balance
- Ability to work at heights for long hours
- An apprenticeship or license in roofing or relevant field is a plus
- Location: Calgary, AB
- Salary: $28.00HOUR hourly for 37.5 to 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- vacancies: 3 vacancies
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
7 months to less than 1 year
- Weight Handling
- Up to 13.5 kg (30 lbs)
- Work Setting
- Residential; Commercial
- Work Site Environment
- Outdoors; At heights
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Repetitive tasks; Handling heavy loads; Physically demanding; Hand-eye co-ordination; Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Work Location Information
- Various locations
- Personal Suitability
- Team player; Excellent oral communication; Dependability; Reliability
- Roofer Specific Skills
- Install, repair or replace built-up roofing systems using materials such as asphalt saturated felts and hot asphalt and gravel; Install, repair or replace shingles, shakes and other roofing tiles on sloped roofs of buildings; Install sheet metal flashings; Install and repair metal roofs using hand and power tools
- Shingler Specific Skills
- Install or replace asphalt shingles, wood shingles and shakes and masonry or baked clay roofing tiles on sloped roofs of buildings
What do roofers do?
Roofers construct and fix roofs using hand tools and other equipment (e.g. scaffolds). They ensure roofs are stable and waterproof. They also install insulation systems and vapor barriers.
Overall, roofer duties include:
- Building and repairing roofs
- Choosing tiles, wood shingles and other necessary roofing materials
- Ensuring roofing projects are delivered on time
What skills do you need to be a roofer?
Depending on the scope and location of the project, roofers can either hold a roofing apprenticeship or a relevant license, or be an individual contractor. Some also learn this job onsite with appropriate training from specialists. Roofing job responsibilities may include knowledge of materials and tactics required for roof work.
The position also requires stamina and balance as roofers often work at heights while operating various machinery and equipment. Roofers are also detail-oriented, with the ability to multitask.
When creating your own roofer job description, make sure to add these skills as requirements and modify them based on your needs.
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Apprentices, Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Seniors, Veterans, Visible minorities, Youth
How to apply
Important notice: This job posting has been provided directly by the employer to Job Bank. The Government of Canada has taken steps to make sure it is accurate and reliable but cannot guarantee its authenticity.