Nigerians reacts as Government ordered the release of One thousand four hundred (1400) members of the Boko Haram suspects arrested.
Some Nigerians have reacted to the news that the Borno State Government said about 1,400 repentant Boko Haram suspects have been released by the military and rehabilitated into society.
The Borno State Commissioner for Information, Babakura Jato, told The PUNCH during an interview on Monday that 1, 400 had been released in three tranches since the ‘Operation Safe Corridor’ programme began.
It was gathered that although the programme began in 2016, it wasn’t until 2018 that the release of the suspects began.
Jato said most of the persons released were not actually Boko Haram members but were relatives of terrorists or persons found in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The commissioner said, “There have been a series of releases. They were released in three tranches. The first set was released during Governor Shettima’s time while two sets have been released under Prof. Zulum.
“The total number of persons released is 1,400. Out of the 1,400, the majority of them are cleared suspects. These were people who were suspected of being members of Boko Haram and it was discovered that they were not.”
On this note, some concerned Nigerians are airing their views via comments on social media.
Check reactions below;