General farm workers plant, cultivate and harvest crops, raise livestock and poultry and maintain and repair farm equipment and buildings. This group includes operators of farm machinery. General farm workers are employed on crop, livestock, fruit, vegetable and specialty farms.
Apply pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizer to crops and livestock; plant, maintain, and harvest food crops; and tend livestock and poultry. Repair farm buildings and fences. Duties may include: operating milking machines and other dairy processing equipment; supervising seasonal help; irrigating crops; and hauling livestock products to market.
1) Record information about crops, such as pesticide use, yields, or costs.
2) Repair and maintain farm vehicles, implements, and mechanical equipment.
3) Dig and plant seeds, or transplant seedlings by hand.
4) Harvest fruits and vegetables by hand.
5) Identify plants, pests, and weeds to determine the selection and application of pesticides and fertilizers.
6) Inform farmers or farm managers of crop progress.
7) Load agricultural products into trucks, and drive trucks to market or storage facilities.
8) Operate tractors, tractor-drawn machinery, and self-propelled machinery to plow, harrow and fertilize soil, or to plant, cultivate, spray and harvest crops.
9) Participate in the inspection, grading, sorting, storage, and post-harvest treatment of crops.
10) Repair farm buildings, fences, and other structures.
11) Set up and operate irrigation equipment.
12) Apply pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers to crops.
13) Clear and maintain irrigation ditches.
14) Direct and monitor the work of casual and seasonal help during planting and harvesting.
- Location: Richmond, BC
- Salary: $18.00HOUR hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Shift, Flexible Hours
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies 1 vacancy
No degree, certificate or diploma
1 year to less than 2 years
- Specific Skills
- Plant, cultivate and irrigate crops; Harvest crops; Fertilize and spray crops; Detect disease and health problems in crops, livestock and poultry; Examine produce for quality and prepare for market; Write daily basic progress reports
- Specific Skills – Field Crops
- Hand harvesting vegetables
- Type of Farm Operations
- Floriculture production; Fruit and vegetable combination farming
- Type of Crops
- Work Site Environment
- Outdoors; At heights; Wet/damp; Odours; Dusty; Hot
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Fast-paced environment; Repetitive tasks; Handling heavy loads; Physically demanding; Attention to detail; Hand-eye co-ordination; Standing for extended periods; Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Work Location Information
- Rural area; Staff accommodation available; Staff accommodation provided
- Personal Suitability
- Effective interpersonal skills; Flexibility; Team player; Judgement; Organized
- Landscape and Horticulture Technicians and Specialists Specific Skills
- Clipping; Mixing fertilizer; Weeding
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada
How to apply