A carpenter is responsible for working with wood to build and repair structures and other items and they also may have to select and source appropriate materials depending on project needs. Their duties include calculating quotes, meeting with clients and creating design plans for remodeling projects.
We are looking for a qualified Carpenter to cut, fabricate and install wooden and other structures according to specifications. Your job will entail working in diverse settings to produce steady and functional infrastructure and products.
A carpenter is an individual with great hand dexterity and an eye for detail. The ideal candidate will also have good knowledge of wood properties and other carpentry materials. Working with little supervision while following all health and safety standards is essential.
The goal is to contribute to the construction and maintenance of strong and long-lasting buildings and products.
- Location: Winnipeg, MB
- Salary: $29.48 to $32.75HOUR hourly for 40 to 60 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Term or contract
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- vacancies: 1 vacancy
Other trades certificate or diploma
Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.)
Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) Certificate; First Aid Certificate; Construction Safety Training Systems (CSTS) Certificate; Carpenter Red Seal Certificate; Fall Arrest Protection Training Course; Working at heights training
5 years or more
- Major Work Area
- Additional Skills
- Instruct apprentices
- Work Setting
- Own Tools/Equipment
- Tools; Steel-toed safety boots; Hard hat
- Transportation/Travel Information
- Own transportation; Valid driver’s licence
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Physically demanding; Bending, crouching, kneeling; Tight deadlines
- Personal Suitability
- Team player; Client focus; Judgement; Values and ethics; Reliability
- Read blueprints, drawings and sketches to fully grasp requirements
- Take measurements and calculate the size and amount of material needed
- Cut, shape and smooth lumber and other material (e.g. fiberglass) according to measurements
- Build window frames, doors, staircases and frame buildings by using raw materials or pre-constructed items
- Lay out floorings, roofings or drywalls ensuring they are leveled and compatible
- Carve and assemble furniture, cabinets, shelves and other items and install them where designated
- Inspect places and conduct repairs or maintenance
- Build scaffolding and other construction structures
- Proven experience as carpenter
- Hands-on experience in working with carpentry materials
- Excellent understanding of carpentry techniques and methods of installation and construction
- Proficient in using electrical and manual equipment and measurement tools (powered saws, hammers, rulers etc.)
- Ability to read technical documents and drawings
- Willingness to follow safety guidelines at all times
- Good knowledge of English
- Good understanding of basic math
- Good physical condition and endurance
- High school diploma; Successful completion of a carpentry apprenticeship program is required
How to apply
Who can apply for this job?
Only persons who are legally allowed to work in Canada can apply for this job. If you are not currently authorized to work in Canada, do not apply as the employer will not consider your job application.