A butcher is a person who may slaughter animals, dress their flesh, sell their meat, or participate within any combination of these three tasks. They may prepare standard cuts of meat and poultry for sale in retail or wholesale food establishments.
Butchers and meat cutters cut and trim meat from larger, wholesale portions into steaks, chops, roasts, and other cuts. They then prepare meat for sale by performing various duties, such as weighing meat, wrapping it, and putting it out for display.
In retail stores, they also may wait on customers and prepare special cuts of meat upon request. Butchers and meat cutters use sharp tools such as knives, grinders, or meat saws. They must follow sanitation standards when cleaning equipment, counter tops, and working areas in order to prevent meat contamination.
Butcher Duties and Responsibilities
Butcher job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Sharpen and adjust cutting equipment
- Receive, inspect, and store meat upon delivery
- Cut, bone, or grind pieces of meat
- Weigh, wrap, and display cuts of meat
- Store meats in refrigerators or freezers at the required temperature
- Keep inventory of meat sales and order meat supplies
- Cut or prepare meats to specification or customer’s orders
- Clean equipment and work areas to maintain health and sanitation standards
Butcher Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Butcher job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- Education or food preparation or meat cutting experience.
- Ability to use hand tools, stand or walk for extending periods, lift heavy items, and work in cold environments.
- Additional training is often required.
- Knowledge of meat preparation techniques and cuts.
- Strong communication, task management, and customer service skills.
- Location: Mississauga, ON
- Salary: $17.00HOUR hourly for 35 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- vacancies: 1 vacancy
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
- Specific Skills
- Shape, lace and tie roasts, other meats, poultry and seafood; Remove bones from meat; Prepare special displays of meats, poultry and fish products; Prepare special orders; Grind meats; Cut, trim and prepare standard cuts of meat
- Additional Skills
- Wrap and package prepared meats; Weigh meats for sale; Clean meats to prepare for processing or cutting
How to apply