Drive ambulances or assist ambulance drivers in transporting sick, injured, or convalescent persons. Report facts concerning accidents or emergencies to hospital personnel or law enforcement officials. Place patients on stretchers and load stretchers into ambulances, usually with assistance from other attendants.
We are looking for a skilled driver with a good driving record to join our team as an ambulance driver. The responsibilities of the ambulance driver include driving the ambulance safely to emergency locations, transporting emergency personnel, transporting patients, and assisting in moving patients via stretchers to the bus.
To be successful as an ambulance driver, you should have a valid driver’s license and an excellent driving record. Ultimately, a top-notch ambulance driver should thrive under pressure and should possess compassion when helping patients.
Ambulance Driver Responsibilities:
- Inspecting the ambulance before each shift, checking the fuel, oil, transmission fluid, wiper fluid, and coolant, and reporting any needed repairs.
- Checking the first aid and medical supplies inventory levels before each shift and ensuring the ambulance is well-stocked.
- Assisting patients onto gurneys and loading them into the ambulance.
- Driving an ambulance as quickly and as safely as possible to transport patients to the hospital.
- Providing first aid or administering oxygen if the patient requires care before reaching the hospital.
- Sanitizing the ambulance and safely disposing of any medical waste and soiled linens.
- Maintaining your driving log with daily entries and noting patients’ names and addresses, travel times, mileage, and service performed.
- Reporting accident facts to medical personnel and police officers, when necessary.
Ambulance Driver Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED and valid driver’s license.
- Minimum of two years’ EMT and driving experience.
- First aid and CPR certification.
- Knowledge of radio transmission codes.
- Emergency vehicle operator certification may be advantageous.
- Excellent defensive driving skills and the ability to read a map.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and reassure frightened patients.
- Great judgment and decision-making skills.
- Good physical agility.
- Location: Etobicoke, ON
- Salary: $16.00 to $17.00HOUR hourly for 36 to 60 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Shift, Flexible Hours, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- vacancies: 4 vacancies
Other trades certificate or diploma
or equivalent experience
Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.)
St. John’s Ambulance First-Aid Certificate; Emergency First Response Course; CPR Certificate; Canadian Red Cross First-Aid Certificate; Ambulance driver’s licence; Class 4/4F/F/4A-B-C Licence (ambulances, emergency vehicles and buses with fewer than 24 passengers)
- Specific Skills
- Transport patients to hospital or other medical facility for further medical care; Maintain ambulances and emergency care equipment and supplies; Assist hospital personnel with provision of medical treatment, if necessary
- Additional Skills
- Train and supervise other ambulance attendants or emergency technicians and attendants
- Weight Handling
- More than 100 kg (220 lbs)
- Work Setting
- Private ambulance company
- Security and Safety
- Driver’s validity licence check; Medical exam; Immunization records; Criminal record check
- Transportation/Travel Information
- Driver’s abstract; Valid driver’s licence
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Sitting; Combination of sitting, standing, walking; Standing for extended periods; Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Ability to Supervise
- 1 to 2 people
- Work Location Information
- Willing to relocate; Relocation costs not covered by employer
- Personal Suitability
- Flexibility; Accurate; Team player; Excellent oral communication; Excellent written communication; Client focus; Dependability; Judgement; Reliability; Organized
How to apply
416-689-8027 Between 09:00 AM and 06:00 PM
Intended job posting audience
Anyone who can legally work in Canada can apply for this job. If you are not currently authorized to work in Canada, the employer will not consider your job application.